Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Zoned Out

You tend to find some of the craziest stuff a thrift store has to offer in the knick knack aisle.  I know there are tons of people who really dig knick knackery, but to me, a lot of them are like dolls and clowns.  Crazy creepy!

When I saw this particular specimen, I first thought maybe someone slipped her a roofie.  She is apparently oblivious to the book in her lap and her hands oddly at her sides (with freakish fingers by the way!!) - she's obviously out of it.  Or she saw something particularly mesmerizing in the sky... a UFO?...an intriguing skywriter?...Maybe just sleeping with her eyes open?  (shudder)



Actually, if you happened to be a child of the 80's, which I am, the first thing I thought of was The Dark Crystal.  If you haven't watched it, then you should do so.  I loved it as a kid!  (Love it slightly less as an adult, but it shaped my world view back then so it still ranks high).. anyway... if you HAVE seen it, you may remember the whole  "skeksis are the bad guys and creepily drain the essence from other creatures and create soulless minions" part."  If you haven't seen the movie, that sounds pretty effed up, but if you have, you totally get it!  anyhoodles... this knick knackery makes me think of that.  See exhibit A. :

So there.  My epic cult movie nerd status is out there now, but I'm ok with that.  :)
I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one.

No comments: